Explore Sutter's Mill at Marshall Park!
Sutter's Mill is just one of the many sites your 4th Grade class will visit on their California field trip.
Wear your comfortable shoes because we'll be taking a long hike all around Sutter's Mill at Marshall Gold Discovery Sate Historic Park. On your gold rush field trip we'll:
- Learn how gold was discovered and see the remains of the mill's tail race where James Marshall found the first pieces of gold back on January 24th 1848.
- Examine a replica of the original sawmill, where we can imagine what it must have been like building the first one.
- Learn how merchants struck it rich, and examine some stores from the gold rush.
- Explore different mining equipment including stamp mills, hydraulic monitors, and mill stones.
- See James Marshall's monument and his cabin
- Stop off at the remains of the Coloma jail (sorry, it's no longer accepting inmates).
- Take a break in God's creation as we stop and let the business of our everyday life fall away.